6 January 2011

In Which Thoroughly Obsessed Thursday Discovers Scott Pilgrim

I’m not sure which came first: Wanting to read Scott Pilgrim, or wanting to watch the movie. If I’m being honest, I think the chicken came before the egg; the only reason I was aware that there was a series of graphic novels about Scott Pilgrim was because I knew that there was a movie being made that starred Michael Cera as the titular slacker-in-waiting.

There are some who have beef with Michael Cera, and to them I say “I get it.” But I have been smitten with the kitten since 2004 when my mother gave me the first season of Arrested Development for Christmas. In my eyes, George Michael Bluth can do no wrong, and you’re really not going to convince me otherwise. So don’t try.

I should also mention that at this time it would take an absolute act of Peter Jackson to get me into the movie theater. It’s expensive, it’s sticky, and, much like television, I don’t have time to adhere to someone else’s schedule. On Demand and iTunes rentals are my friend.

So last week in the midst of the Christmas chaos my baby brother brought me his copy of Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life and then proceeded to ask me every single day if I had read it yet. And then I finally did. And then I watched the movie.

The series is seven novels long, one (I assume?) per “ex” (NOT “ex-boyfriend”) that Scott has to defeat to maintain his “going out” status with his newly discovered soulmate, Ramona Flowers. Admittedly I should have read all of them before watching the movie, which does indeed encompass all of them.

First, the graphic novel review, with the qualifier that I am no Great Reader of Graphic Novels: I thought it was charming, easily read, and very funny. There were times when I was laughing out loud. According to my brother (who, as the only reader of Scott Pilgrim I know personally, shall henceforth be known as The Expert) it does better on subsequent readings (“you see more”) and I don’t doubt him for a second. I was charmed by Scott, despite the fact that he is a huge loser who really needs to do something with his life, dammit.

Next the movie review, because this is my blog and I can review anything I want: The movie is good, if not great, and a respectable transference of graphic novel sensibilities to the large screen (or in my case, the small screen of my laptop). Michael Cera is Michael Cera-y, and this did not offend me (though Candy was not so impressed when she reviewed both at SmartBitches back in August). Again, I didn’t read all of the novels, so I had not really had an opportunity to fully form Scott Pilgrim in my head. As in the novel, my favorite character was Scott’s gay roommate (with whom he shares a bed... without conflict!... I can’t tell you how awesome I think this is) Wallace Wells played by Kieran Culkin, and unlike in the novels, I had a full appreciation for Anna Kendrick’s Stacey Pilgrim, Scott’s super-annoying/awesome sister.

So now my brother is happy, we have something to talk about, I have more things added to my TBR shelf (Ha ha. Ha. I laugh so I don’t cry), and I crossed one of the many movies on my Don’t Forget to Watch This At Some Point List.

Yeah... it’s a good day.

3 comments:

  1. Let it be stated for the record that on this day, YOU laughed so you wouldn't cry about your TBR shelf, NOT me! And I've print-screened it so you can't change it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cry for different reasons, my darling.

    ReplyDelete