24 January 2011

In Which Monday Menu Mayhem Makes Chicken Soup

First of all, Happy 100th Post everyone!  It's been a long(-ish) journey, but we've made it to triple digits.  Wa-hoo.

I know you're going to be surprised, but I am celebrating with a Buffy ep, and soon will have a glass of wine.  Wild, wild parties over here.  (Come on! Xander is fighting the undead while the others are trying to fend off an apocalypse.  How am I not supposed to watch that?!)

Anyway, on to more important business.  This week's Nigella recipe, Thai Chicken Soup, was rather disappointing.  However, it could very well be that it's my own damn fault.  The recipe called for tamarind paste and turmeric.  I may (or may not) have substituted those two ingredients for Yellow Curry Paste, which contains those ingredients and (through no conflict of interest at all) I am able to get for free.

The final result was a tasty soup (which, like all soups, definitely benefited from sitting overnight) which was a little sour (hello, lime juice and fish sauce!) and not exactly like I expected it to taste, which might be half of the problem.  Someone who's been eating Ramen like it's going out of style tends to have different expectations of what chicken soup should taste like.

Hark!  A photo:



Will make this dish again, but will also definitely feel free to modify to my heart's content.  What's nice about it is that it's easy... pre-cooked chicken, stock, frozen veggies... As Boy Scout said, "I give it a solid C."  Which, now that I think about it, isn't so positive after all...

2 comments:

  1. The C grade may very well be due to the horrid bitter taste I can't get out of my mouth from the garlic we had at that restaurant Sat night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful picture at least!!! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete