20 January 2011

In Which Thoroughly Obsessed Thursday Lives the Obsession

First of all, a very special thanks and shout-out to the Wendy Pan for her most excellent review of the Amazon Kindle.  As a hopeful librarian in training, I have serious issues with the thought of giving up printed books, though we all know I have certainly found solace in my Kindle for iPhone.

I was going to let the Wendy Pan's obsession sit as Obsession de la semaine, but I already had mine plotted... so hers shall be the review de la semaine.  Dig?

So the reason I can't come up with a review myself is because this week I am obsessed with... Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Have I mentioned that one of the ways I maintain my sanity in life is through marathons of excellent TV shows?  It's been far too long since I have Buffy'd, Aliased, Felicity'd, and Battlestar Galactica'd, and my psyche is showing the signs of neglect.

Part of the ohholyhell awesomeness is the heroines, obviously.  Sydney Bristow is one of the best (duh), and I have even taken important life lessons from Felicity, especially in the realm of... not getting drunk and waking up in a frat boy's bed.

ANYWAY.

Buffy and I have very little in common, and I can't relate to her, so it's hard for me to call her One of My Favorite Heroines.  That said, Joss Whedon wrote a brilliant character; a valley girl who fights vampires, is secretly super smart, and has common sense coming out of her ears. And as I watch first two and a half seasons (Thank you, Boy Scout.  There is a secret place in Boyfriend Heaven for Boys Who Let Their Girlfriends Work Out Their Issues Through Vampire Violence), I cannot help but think about another teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire against her better judgment (?) and lives to tell the tale.  Whether that tale is horrifically bad or not.

But as in so many most excellent things, the best part of Buffy is the supporting players.  Xander, Willow, and Giles all make or break the show... the few eps that any or all of them are not present are lacking severely.  The dialogue, the intelligence, the His Girl Friday-brand rapport is insane (in the best way) and when (the long-suffering) Boy Scout announced that he wasn't a fan of Buffy because "it's just not realistic," I couldn't help but take it as the best compliment ever.

This is where we are.  Obsessed with marathoning, and marathoning Buffy.  It's comfort food for the nerd's hibernating soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment