7 September 2010

In Which I Report a DNF

This post is to say that I did not finish (am not finishing? will not be finishing?) Mouth to Mouth by Erin McCarthy.

I'm not sure of the tense, because this is such a new decision that I am not sure it's fully formed yet.

Oh wait. Yes, now it is.

I was really looking forward to this book, mostly because I have (had) yet to meet an Erin McCarthy book I didn't like. I'm not nearly versed enough in her back catalog to fully endorse "anything she has written," but what I've read so far has been sexy and fun and enjoyable.

Mouth to Mouth is the story of Russ, a police detective in a midwest town (Milwaukee? Cleveland? I only just stopped reading the book about two hours ago, and I really don't remember) who is investigating a man who preys on women, gains their love/trust, and then steals all their money. Douchecanoe? Douchecanoe!

While staking out the next suspected victim (they found her name and contact info in papers left at the most recent victim's house... sloppy conman), Russ decides to "get a closer look" at the newest mark. She's gorgeous. And blond. And deaf. Lack of hearing ability aside, there is nothing to distinguish Laurel from her TSTL predecessors. She has money and has been in her shell since her dad died in her first year of college but is looking to bust out of her shell with some sex... stop me if you've heard this one before.

The other thing about Laurel is that she recognizes Russ as the guy she's supposed to be meeting for a blind-date-coffee thing at the coffee shop. Why? Because the conman has been assuming the identity of cops in the various areas he visits. He just coincidentally happens to be portraying Russ at this moment.

If you think this doesn't make sense, that might be because it... doesn't. The conman has assumed Russ' identity, which I guess is fine (if ballsy) (and awfully coincidental) but has also supplied Laurel with personal details (apparently someone the real Russ went to high school with put them in touch with one another? I'm fuzzy on the finer points) and a photograph. Of the real Russ. Who Laurel then recognizes when he coincidentally decides to go into the coffee shop to scope out the hot chick in the window. (Dear Conman: Assuming new identities is fun! But it only really makes sense when you substitute your own photograph. Right? Right!)

Too much coincidence? Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

As far as I can tell (from 106 pages), they don't even really like each other. Russ wants into her pants, but thinks she's a little dumb (or naive, as he uncondescendingly puts it). Laurel thinks he's a bit of an ass who is condescending. Yet thinks it's a really good idea to invite him into her bedroom the first time he (rather stalkerishly) comes over to her house. And also, thinks it's a good idea to string along the conman (now fully aware of his intentions) and to not really tell anyone about it.

All of this nonsense, combined with the truly irksome secondary story of Russ trying to raise his thirteen year old brother (a mopey, attitudial lame-o in need of a serious ass-kicking) meant Mouth to Mouth was abandoned early in favor of the Maya Banks book that was delivered to my doorstep today.

Which will hopefully end with a much happier entry.

Special shout-out to Wendy Pan for the following exchange-
Me: I'm not really loving this book.
Wendy Pan: It doesn't get better. It doesn't get worse, but it doesn't get better.
Me: I'm thinking about abandoning it for the new book that came today.
Wendy Pan: Do it.

See Wendy Pan? Your contributions could have saved me 106 pages of agony ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment