20 January 2011

Kindle: To excite (interest, feelings etc), Ignite

Okay, so, I had my doubts. Well, not really. But for the sake of argument - let's pretend I did. I had read about them and I had a narrow vision of what they might have been like. But never in my wildest imaginings did I expect to fall in rapture! I am speaking, of course, of my Kindle!

Dan Darling gave me one for Christmas after I expressed an interest in stealing Sam-I-Am's from him. Maybe Dan Darling had ulterior motives. The Amazon boxes were piling up on the front porch... daily! Maybe he thought this would curtail my reading (ha!) maybe he just plain old accepts that I am a reading machine and loves me anyway! For whatever reason, I am the proud owner of a Kindle (with a lighted brown leather cover, no less!)

Did it take a while to get used to? Nope! I downloaded my first book the day after Christmas. A Nora Roberts. And I like to think I helped to push her over the top as the all time best selling author on Kindle (to date.) I read with the usual distraction of a Beagle on my lap. I held my Kindle with one hand and became adept at turning the page without even moving my arm! I downloaded my next book later that day and was reading as if I had a lot of time to make up for. Dan Darling asks, "Are you still reading the same book?" Um, not quite! 15 books later (this is just since Christmas mind you) he caught me reading a paperback book. "What's that?" It was my Book Club book. The one I had ordered from Amazon before I knew I was getting a Kindle. I started/finished that on a snowy/icy Wednesday with the same Beagle on my lap. I had to turn pages. I had to read both sides of the book (not just a single screen.) It was awkward. I survived. Hereafter, I will make sure I can download my Book Club books.

Will I ever prefer a book to my Kindle again? Absolutely! I must have my J.D. Robb books in bound, covered editions. I own them all so far. And downloading them all to my Kindle would be really silly! And since I am notorious for rereading things over and over, it makes sense for me to have the whole series... in print.

That being said, I am a huge Kindle fan! I have no intention of using it just when I travel! I will use it any and every opportunity I am given! UPS doesn't visit so much anymore, but the satisfaction of going online and ordering a book and having it loaded in my Kindle immediately is beyond description!

I did have one minor issue with my brand new Kindle! And it was not pretty. I had finished the last of my downloaded books and was ready to find another - when our internet went down. I drove around town (at 9:00 at night) looking for WiFi. Even the town library was inaccessible from the parking lot! I was like an addict! It was a long night! I will have to make sure I always have a few books on my queue! Lesson learned!

4 comments:

  1. hahaha I'm trying to ignore how wonderful that sounds! So hard! What fun! Jealous? But trying so hard to hold on to the printed page? My brain is in turmoil!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the driving around looking for WiFi story. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have been able to connect to the HCH WiFi in the parking lot...Many people do. Whats up with that? Methinks it's your beloved Kindle's fault, NOT the library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, the Kindle got a signal, but it was so weak it couldn't download. I even walked up to the door and sat on the bench (and it was cold on my nether parts!) To no avail! I will try again, but I think HCH WiFi is set up to reject Kindle searches!

    ReplyDelete