30 September 2010

In Which I Deviate.

Remember that time I was going to write about my heroines? Yeah. Semi-fail.

Remember that time I abandoned my other blog in favor of this one? Yeah. Total success. I think.

So now is the time when I wish the two points above would coalesce into something awesome. I am currently reading two books, with emphasis on the one that arrived from Amazon today (I clearly need to talk to someone about my ADD reading habits... Melissa?!). The new book is a new-ish book called One Day by David Nicholls. I recently read the super happy Entertainment Weekly article regarding excitement over the movie that has just been filmed, and was intrigued by the premise.

Don't worry, it's totally a romance.

Moral of the story? I don't have a book to write about right this minute, but I really would like to write a blog entry anyway. As we all know, I have been fully entrenched in all of my new DVDs (Community is my most current obsession) which is not entirely appropriate for my book-reading blog, but which brings me around fully to my heroine post.

I've written about it before on the other blog, but I am actively not linking, because that would be cheating.

Liz Lemon is my heroine. "And by heroine, I mean 'lady hero.' I don't mean I want to inject [her] and listen to jazz."

Coming from a generation of girls nursed through adolescence by Sex and the City, I have to say that nothing about that show appealed to me. (Full disclosure: I enjoyed the first movie) Sure, the fashions were great and it was awesome to see a group of liberated women living unapologetically in the 00's, representing a new generation, etc. Yay post-modern feminism. Or something.

Except that they didn't represent me. I fully acknowledge my freakishness on a number of levels, but I don't think I'm alone in saying that I am neither a Carrie, a Samantha, a Charlotte, nor a Miranda. I mean, I'm a Miranda if nothing else, because that's what she was there for, right? To represent the nerds. But she wasn't a nerd. At all.

Liz Lemon, rather, is my hapless, Star Wars referencing, successful, bra-taping role model. Is she perfect? Not in the slightest. But she also doesn't give two fat rats about her shoes, clothes, the condition of her hair, or the fact that she is, quite simply, a raging nerd. This is the woman who tried to write Star Wars references into a telenovela called Los Amantes Clandestinos, and who dumped Jon Hamm (Jon-freaking-Hamm, people!!!) because he was too dumb, who regularly writes sketches about farting, and who constantly finds herself in socially awkward sitations. Like having to stall your ex-boyfriend's wedding so your boss' girlfriend won't leave. I believe the quote "Come on, Bible. Give a girl a break" is used. Genius.

This is my kind of woman, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get her on to my list before. I guess things are finally lining up for old Liz Lemon.

P to the S- I'm sorry to report that the paranormal writing thing didn't quite work out. Obviously it's going to take more to get me to write it than it took to get me to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment