31 January 2011

In Which Monday Menu Mayhem Eats Dessert First

Another Monday, another bout of snow on the way for the Northeast!  Woo-hoo!

Unfortunately I left all of the warm and lovely food I cooked this weekend at Scout Camp, so I'll have to eat healthily, if not comfortingly, during the next batch of inches.

This weekend was shockingly Nigella-lite-- despite a dinner party and two days full of culinary delights, there was only one thing from our guiding-light cookbook that was prepared, and that was Grasshopper Pie.

Despite what you might think from the content of this blog thus far, I am a huge dessert fan.  It started long ago when my grandfather corrected my mother's healthy teachings of yogurt and apple sauce, replacing the "good for me" foods with the "good" foods, namely ice cream and cookies.  Thanks, Pappy.

In any case, when it comes to dinner party planning, dessert is often a top priority for me, and I was intrigued by the Grasshopper Pie (having never made one myself) when I saw it in the book.  So easy!  So boozey!  With a crust of smashed Oreos and a filling of melted marshmallows and whipped cream, this was, in many ways, a perfect dessert.  It was light and refreshing (thank you, crème de mènthe), and because it's served cold was an excellent juxtaposition to the rest of the warmth-inducing meal.

I foregoed (forewent?  foregot?  foregrew?) the food coloring, as Nigella noted that it is not necessary, and I am in a place in life where I don't feel it adds anything other than chemicals.  This is (a fraction of) the finished product:



It also makes an excellent breakfast.  And dessert at lunch time.  And afternoon snack...

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure the rest was promptly eaten right after this photo was taken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, not a really great picture. Can't see it! You'll have to make it for ME so I can see, taste, judge it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I'm with you on that Wendy Pan, I can't quite make it out, it's sort of blending in with the background.... this might be a dish that you can only see close up..... when it's right in front of you.... under your nose.... on a fork.... in close proximity to my face........

    And I def like your call on food colouring. (FYI - The Real Nigella appreciates that 'u' even if the washed out America-Ready Nigella could care less.)

    ReplyDelete