28 June 2011

In Which I Review Two (Yes, TWO!) Erin McCarthy's

I’m reviewing these two books together because I read them back-to-back, they belong to the same series, and because I’m not sure I could come up with a substantial review for either of them individually.

Also, because it’s my blog and I can do whatever I want. Ha.

Erin McCarthy’s Fast Track novels have been celebrated in romance forums for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that they are contemporary, present-day novels that do not feature vampires, werewolves, succubi, or alternate dimensions.

They also follow a group of racecar drivers, which is fairly unique. And let me say, that after reading these books, I am much less likely to complain should Boy Scout take it into his head to start watching Cup racing.

Hot Finish is the story of Suzanne and Ryder, the divorced-couple-who-can’t-seem-to-shake-each-other who have been lynch-pinning the previous two books. Suz up and left one day, Ryder’s not really sure why, and now they’re divorced. They're sort-of friendly, only not. Sort-of. Only it turns out that they’re not divorced because Ryder never showed up for his court date.

How convenient.

The book mainly focuses on the reconciliation and reformation of their relationship, beginning with the discovery of their still-marriage, and culminating in lots of dirty sex. Wa-hoo.

My main problem with this book is that I didn’t particularly like either Ryder or Suzanne. They were obviously in love with each other for the entirety of their “divorce,” and the fact that it took until the end of the goddamn book for them to have an honest conversation brought both of them in to seriously TSTL territory. And while I’m glad that (SPOILER ALERT) they ended up preggers in the end, I have to say that if being less than 12 hours late in taking your Pill is that dangerous, we’re all in serious trouble.

In the end, I was glad they were back together, but Suzanne’s continual lack of clear direction in her life was still a little staggering (Law school? Just like that allofasudden?) and Ryder’s simple (though sweet) declaration of love made it a little “whydidIhavetoread291pagestogethere?”

The Chase, on the other hand, was much better for me. Evan Monroe (brother of the oh-so-yummy Elec) holds a grudge against rookie girl driver Kendall Holbrook for breaking his heart when he was nineteen. She holds a grudge against him for making fun of her driving aspirations, causing her to dump him.

The beautiful thing is that they have an honest conversation pretty much first thing in the book, and by page 57 they’re humping on the hood of her car. Hawt.

It takes them a while (but not as long as you’d think!) to figure out what they’re doing together, what it means for their careers, etc. But in the end they are both honest and communicative and they make it work.

If I had to name a problem I have with The Chase, it’s that it’s dangerously close to re-hashed territory. Skittish and emotionally distant female? Original, except we’ve seen it already (and been annoyed by it) in Suzanne. Slightly troubled, former manwhore driver? That would by Ty McCordle. Slutfest pregnancy scare as a result of former manwhoredom? Yeah. That was in the book about Evan’s brother, Elec.

Slow Ride, out this coming October, features Kendall’s friend, racing gossip-blogger Tuesday Jones and some dude I’ve never heard of before. If two virtual-unknowns means fresh story, I’m totally down.


No comments:

Post a Comment