27 June 2011

In Which Monday Menu Mayhem Apologizes

It is with a thousand apologies that I beg your forgiveness for the lack of Thoroughly Obsessed Thursday last week.  You may or may not know that I was travelling, and quite honestly, Thursday came and went without my even thinking about this blog.  Sacrilege, darling.

At any rate, I've still got a buttload of reviews up my sleeve AND I COOKED THIS WEEKEND.  Somehow.  I cooked.

It was way simple, too.  Basically Gwyneth told me to cook up some soy sauce, honey, mirin (Substitute with sake?  Yeah, sure!), ginger (Which you should not lose in the bottom of your Whole Foods bag), and cilantro (Which you should not ignore, because you're "one of those people" who can't even look at cilantro without getting squicked).  Once that's all cool, she told me to marinate some salmon in it.

Presto.

I liked this recipe, though I think I would have liked it better if we had let the salmon marinate longer (than an hour).  The honey makes sure everything gets a little crispy under the broiler, and all of the flavors blend perfectly with the salmon.  I do recommend boiling the marinade down afterward to make a sauce, but I do not recommend boiling it down to the point that it turns into a preliminary version of tar.  Like I did.

We've been experimenting with a lot of marinades lately (to dress up my constant servings of protein), and while this was not my favorite, I think it has a lot of potential, and I would like to play with it some more.  I would also like to try it on the grill (As opposed to in the broiler, per the recipe and our own cooking limitations) but that will have to wait for another time.

Up next?  Reviews like you've never seen them before!!

No comments:

Post a Comment