28 April 2011

In Which Thoroughly Obsessed Thursday Has a Lot of Diffent Things to Talk About

I'm writing from my new iPad 2.

And oh man, it's awesome.

OK, full disclosure, it's an iPad that belongs to the day job that I have to have (a girl's got to eat, and blogging for the masses doesn't pay in anything but a healthy sense of self-righteousness), but somehow I don't think anyone will mind if I reappropriate this lovely piece of machinery for a few minutes.

Oh yes. This lovely piece of machinery is most definitely my obsession de la semaine.

It's thin. It's white. And it has a badass pink cover. Part of this color combination is because I accessorize only in pink. And part of it is so that my male colleagues don't steal her. Yes, it's a "her," and she needs a name. Suggestions welcome in the comments.

The problem is, though, that I got the wifi only version (like you do... AT&T has enough of my soul, thank you very much) and then I went away on a business trip (hello from sunny and hot as hell Florida!). I have no idea how to judge this next part-- I can't decide if my outrage is justified. You'll let me know, right? Here goes...

The hotel does not have wireless available in the rooms. There's an Ethernet chord, or you can purchase internet through the television. All other Internet transactions must be carried out on the questionable wireless network in the lobby. (Why yes, I did pay $25 for 2 days' worth of access, and no, I still couldn't connect. Awesome.)

Let's ignore the fact that this hotel is currently hosting three business conventions.

And let's ignore the fact that when you (read: your company) are paying $150 a night for a hotel, you shouldn't have to kick in another $12 per day to connect to the Internet in general.

HOW DO THEY NOT HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET THROUGHOUT THE BUILDING?

Sure, iPads are new, and laptops can all be plugged in. But half of the point of a laptop is that it's portable. And for business purposes in this setting, how can you possibly be expected to go back to your room to check your email, or to look something up for a potential client?

Maybe it's a Gen Y thing. Maybe it's an overly techie thing. But I would seriously think twice before checking in to this hotel for business again-- a hotel, I might add, that is otherwise very lovely and has nothing particularly "wrong" with it.

But it's the year 2011. Connection is everything. And they have failed.

(For the record, the wireless connection I am using right now was brought in by the convention I'm attending... The hotel does not even provide wireless in its own convention halls)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kate! It is totally a Gen Y thing! We oldies (but goodies) are pretty much oblivious to such inconveniences! However - the whole convention aspect does put a different spin on it!

    And I kinda like Peaseblossom as a name for your iPad (after one of the faeries in A Midsummer Night's Dream by the great bard!) Or Portia from The Merchant of Venice.

    ReplyDelete