25 April 2011

In Which Monday Menu Lives, Sleeps, Eats, and Breathes Mayhem

My goodness friends.  What a weekend.

The relocation of Scout Camp was at once exhausting (ohholyhellmovingtakesforever) and exhilarating (more cabinet space! more counter space!)  But after one and a half days of takeout and pizza (the movers' food of choice), I finally took matters into my own hands on Saturday night, made Scout drive me to Whole Foods, and made not one, not two, but THREE Nigella dishes.

OK, one of them was a repeat, but I can't quite bring myself to care.

Firstly there was the Chicken with Lardons and Lentils, a one-pot meal that is originally intended for one according to the recipe instructions:


(Note the terribly appetizing cleaning supplies and the Le Creuset box in the background.  WE DON'T MESS AROUND, FRIENDS)

Having never cooked with lentils before, I was nervous about doubling everything (for two) and what it would do to the consistency of the thing.  In the end, all was well, though, as this hearty, healthy meal gave us the energy to... get up from the couch and get ready for bed.  I did double the lentils and the liquid, but rather than putting in four cups of water (as called for) I did three cups of water and one cup of wine.  Sure, it was a lot of wine (good drinking wine, too!), but I felt like adding flavor was better than not.

The other best part of this meal was that in the end there was plenty of lentil stew left over, and when we added in the shreds of extra chicken from our individual breasts (har har... breasts) (sorry, I'm still loopy) there was plenty enough for lunch the next day.

Oh yeah, and it did need the added salt and pepper.

Easter dinner (such as it was... I had to keep reminding myself that Sunday was Easter) (sorry, we don't need to get into my religious convictions right now) was the Pork and Apple Hotpot redux, which was better than the first time, even though I can't tell you why (it might have been the improvisation of more flour and therefore thicker sauce...?).  Dessert was new, though.  Behold, Lemon Polenta Cake:


I liked this cake because it's gluten-free and lemony fresh.  It's made with almond flour and polenta, with the addition of a little lemon zest (in the cake) and a good soaking with lemon syrup after the baking.  Don't get me wrong, it's tart.  And it's sweet.  Like I like my... cakes.  And my men.

I think Scout was unsure of this one, but I wouldn't hesitate to make it again for a nice spring occasion, or really as a go-too dessert for gluten-free friends.

So there.  One week, two new recipes.  BLAMMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment