17 March 2010

My Boyfriend is Great.

I'm getting paid a lot of money for that headline. For reals.

Or wait, maybe I already was paid. ANYWAY...

My boyfriend is great because when it came to my birthday, he got me the absolute perfect thing... An Amazon gift card. Yay TBR books and The Hangover on DVD (not to mention all of my pre-orders for the whole year).

So yeah. Great boyfriend.

One of the first things on the order list was The Naked Edge by Pamela Clare, which was recently given this intriguing review by SB Sarah. Also I read an excerpt, and it was hawt.

Gabe is a Park Ranger, Kat is a Native American, and also a journalist. They meet when he saves her after a rockslide, and then again when he saves her from some cops who try to rough her up after a Native ceremonial sweat-lodge (see the pattern?). Kat was a capable heroine, but she was also always in danger, and he was constantly rescuing her because of his tough alpha-male-ness. This gets a little old (she is also almost shot and almost carbon-monoxide poisoned). They're both inoffensive characters, but they're kind of... bland. She has a lovely dedication to her Native roots, but is not stereotypical. And he's an alpha rock-jock. They don't have awesome banter, and I'm not even 100% positive I know why they like each other (beyond "I need to save her from danger" and "I need to patch his wounded soul").

So this was the book that I finished in its entirety, obviously a quick read, and obviously not entirely memorable EXCEPT.

Ohholycrap, there's a qualifier. I liked the ending. Happily ever after, blah blah blah, but with an actual, real consequence to the danger and conflict that permeated the whole book. It was so refreshing a change from the norm that it changed my whole outlook about the story. For serious. It might even end up on the keeper shelf.

This is obviously the third (I think?) book in this series-- there were two other couples running around who we were obviously supposed to know about ahead of time. They won't go on my priority list, but if I run into their books, I'll definitely pick them up.

So... yeah. On to the next book from the Amazon pile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment