3 May 2010

Hark, An Experiment! That Works!

A couple of weeks ago I decided that my TBR pile had become... quite large. I don't want to use the phrase "too large," because that has negative connotations and someone (*cough*Boy Scout*cough*) might use that as leverage to put a ban on the book buying.

I came up with a solution to this, or at least, Came To A Conclusion: I needed to manage my reading/watching time better. "Better" as in: leave piles of books in different places and read from the pile that lives wherever I happen to be. Also, my non-fiction TBR has been designated for my car's CD player (Hello, John Adams! We meet at last).

This is a lovely and workable solution, except for the part where I brought a stack of books to Boy Scout's lair, started reading one and then promptly didn't go back again for a month (not to worry, this was planned, and has more to do with the status of my unmanageable schedule than our status as a couple. I think).

Victim #1 of the Great Boy Scout Neglect (aside from the man himself): Something About You by Julie James. Having read an excellent review, and then later another favorable review, I didn't doubt that this book would be a quality, fun read that did not in any way involve vampires, lykae, or vampires who turn into lykae during the full moon.

Something About You is the story of US Attorney Cameron Lynde and FBI Agent Jack Pallas, them of the Controversial and Disputed History. They worked a case together involving his going undercover for a mobster, her boss chose not to prosecute, he told a major news organization that Cameron had her head up her ass. Charming. This does involve a Big Misunderstanding, but not one that is annoying and easily resolved. Sure, they could have used a good conversation with one another, but at the same time you could fully understand why they wouldn't necessarily want to be in the same room at the same time to hash it all out.

And by the way, the Big Mis is resolved as easily as all that, when Cameron decides that because of factors X, Y, and Z, she should fill Jack in on the pertinent details. There is no angst about this, no "I shouldn't tell him because I like it when things are difficult in my life," she just does it. You know, like a mature adult. It should also be noted that at that point in the story, a revelation of Things From the Past was not a dealbreaker for their relationship.

Oh yeah. The reason they're reunited in life circumstance is because Cameron accidentally witnesses a murder involving a powerful Senator and needs to have protective custody that eventually turns out to include Jack staying in her house. Natch.

It is once again the characters that shine through the story. Collin, Cameron's best friend is a) homosexual and b) an extremely well-respected sports writer. I like this a lot. I also like that Jack is unsure of Collin, not because he is homophobic, but rather because his hots for Cameron are so intense he can't imagine another man not feeling the same. Cameron's other friend Amy is a Bridezilla of epic proportions, but I didn't hate her in the least. Cameron acknowledges that her friend is being a freak and then remembers the support Amy gave her when her father died, and sucks it up and is equally supportive in a very "she is my person" type way.

I also really enjoyed Jack and Cameron themselves-- Jack, who so easily could have been a bitter douche throughout, instead deals with the situation at hand, and then quietly acknowledges that he has a serious weakness when it comes to his protectee. Also, he says the sexiest, most realistic thing I have heard a hero say to his heroine in a long time: "Cameron, with the way you look tonight, every man at this wedding knows exactly what I plan to do with you." The way she looks, btw, is plain to see on the cover of the book.

Quick, fun, and light. Get thee to Something About You now.

In case you didn't notice, this is no Top Ten Heroines post as originally promised. John Adams distracted my during all of my "free think" time, and so I have no more thoughts today than I did Friday on the subject. Sydney Bristow? Check. Jade Cainewood? Check. Neomi Laress? Check. Kit Cranmer? Check. Nicole Lasseter? Check. I have also noticed that I have a weakness for red-headed pirates/smugglers/sailors. I mean, it's not as strong a weakness as that held by their men, but I do enjoy reading about the feistiness.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment