9 May 2011

In Which Monday Menu Mayhem is Way Ahead of the Game

I made this recipe so long ago I might not be able to tell you everything I remember about it.

No, I'm just kidding.

(But I might not be)

Last week was Dinner with Granny and Granddad Jones Week, and since Granny is the one who bought me the wondrous book, I try to cook from it with them when I can.  And thank goodness for the miraculous iPad.  Without it, there would not be a picture of our glorious creation:


So this is the Mortadella and Mozzarella Frittata.  I really wanted to make something springy and light-- it was not an awesome day weather-wise, but it's May, dammit!  Time to stop slaving over a dutch oven and make a move toward easy and quick.

This was very easy and quick, too.  Six eggs, chopped mortadella, chopped mozzarella, parsley, and a little bit of fresh parm, all thrown in the frying pan and then LEFT ALONE.  I have to emphasize this, because I have a tendency to stir, and had to re-read those directions about twelve times in order to ensure that I wasn't supposed to do anything but stare at the pan.

After about 5 minutes you transfer your (oven-proof!) skillet to the broiler, and let the top finish cooking.  Pop the frittata out of the pan and cut it like a cake.  Serve alongside this plain green salad, made better with Gwyneth's Mustard Vinaigrette (already a favorite).

And there you have it.  Simple.  Elegant.  Filling.  I'm excited about it because it was delicious, but it also lends itself to any combination of meats, cheeses, and veggies, and you better believe there will be experimenting in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment