28 February 2011

In Which Monday Menu Mayhem Messes With a Classic

Honestly, I don't know why I made this recipe.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with Nigella's Chocolate Chip Cookies, and you've got to give her credit for trying to get us to change our minds and our palates.  But let's be perfectly clear: nothing ever can/will/should surpass the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie in terms of excellence and infinite makeability.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the Nigella recipe.  It varies from the traditional in that we melt the butter, use superfine sugar (I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't have some in the kitchen anyway), and use an egg and an egg yolk instead of two whole eggs.  Also, the recipe called for milk chocolate chips, but I was NOT going to give up my semi-sweets.  The result was good, but not memorable.  Something akin to what you would buy at a cafe for $2 apiece.  I have nothing against them and would totally make them again... if only I didn't have a better recipe at my disposal.



Speaking of things that never need to happen again, I just do need to take a moment to discuss the oh-holy-hell-in-a-handbasket disaster that was last night's Oscars.  I love Anne Hathaway, but no amount of uber-sunny energy was going to save that snoozefest trainwreck.  There was nothing fun about the ceremony (save for a handful of memorable acceptance speeches), there was nothing funny about the hosts (can we spell A-W-K-W-A-R-D?), and, more importantly, there was nothing even remotely interesting in the winners.  Everyone who was supposed to win, did.  Not that that's a bad thing (I'm looking at you, Colin Firth... could you please stop looking at your gorgeous Italian wife and look over here?  No?), but a lack of Shakespeare in Love/Crash-style upset made it all an exercise in "Did I really even need to bother watching this?" dullitude.  Hell, even if The Social Network had won, I'm not sure that would have made things more interesting.

I have been an Oscar watcher since, well... A really long time.  Like, too-young-for-my-parents-to-let-me-stay-up-and-watch-the-whole-thing long time.  And this year was enough to make me want to give up altogether.  Dear Hollywood, The next thing you should reboot?  THE ACADEMY AWARDS.

OK.  Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment