11 November 2010

In Which Thoroughly Obsessed Thursday is Procrastinating. Seriously.

Wow. This is one big ol’ hunk of procrastination, right here. I’m 3,200 words behind to meet quota tonight (No writing at all yesterday. At all. So now we have to make up for it, somehow...) and perhaps my heroine will suddenly develop a desire to blog about being thoroughly obsessed on Thursdays. You don’t know. And neither do I. It’s the nature of the beast.

I do want to take a moment to talk about my re-entry into the world of Historical Romance. It’s been a while since I’ve been in to it, as (I’m sure some of you are aware) these things are cyclical. One day you can’t get enough of the demonic paranormals, the next you’re drooling over wounded Napoleonic soldiers.

It Happened One Autumn is what did it for me (and no, I’m not jumping backward into Secrets of a Summer Night... I’ve instead started an Eloisa James called A Kiss at Midnight). Something about that book in particular re-enchanted me with the gloriousity of good regency novel, what it’s like when charming (and slightly clueless) heroines get together with rakishly good looking Earls/Dukes/Marquis/Etc.

So when I was at San Francisco International last week, I naturally bought four (yep, onetwothreefour) historicals. Please don’t tell Boy Scout. I may or may not have made a promise not to buy any new books. Clearly he had to know I was lying. Well, not lying. There was nothing malicious about it. It was more like short-sightedness.

ANYWAY. As soon as I have time in life (ha ha ha. HA.) I’m going to read these historical romance novels. And then I’m going to tell you about them. But in the meantime, in case you’re procrastinating about WriMo, too, here are some of my fave historicals to look up on Amazon:

Captain of All Pleasures (Kresley Cole)- The first and one of the best Kresley Coles, this one features a sailing contest, and a hot hero named Derek. And you know I’m a sucker for heroes named Derek.

Dreaming of You (Lisa Kleypas)- I’m also a sucker for a hero who is so bad he’s yummy. Just about every scene when Derek Craven tries to send Sara Fielding back to where she came from makes me melt.

Guardian Angel (Julie Garwood)- The Pirate Pagan. And a butler named Sterns. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Spymaster’s Lady (Joanna Bourne)- Girl spy. More post-Revolutionary France. Badass.

A Touch of Fire (Linda Howard)- Sure Rafe’s a bit of a douchecanoe at the beginning, but you would be too if you were on the run after being wrongly accused, and then shot. It’s the way they come together (and the not-quite-accurate history) that is awesome.

Goddammit, that did not take up nearly enough time. Now I have to go write. For realsies.

Dear My Heroine: How do you feel about blogging? It’s cool, right?...

No comments:

Post a Comment